Tuesday 26 October 2010

Hooked again!

 I have taken up my crochet hook again. I learnt to crochet when I was confined to bed with mumps as a child and it has been an off and on past-time ever since. This latest 'on' came about since I have been seeing all the throws and cushion covers made of squares with gorgeous colours bordered with white and when I found Posy's instructions for just such a pattern, the urge to give it a go was irresistible.
 At the dreamy planning stage of this project, I made a list of the shades I would use for the colours; a restrained and elegant palette of colours.  That ideal lasted until I finished the first square and checked my yarn stash of left over odds and ends  for the colours on my list and I realised that it wasn't going to work out like that.
You see as well as enjoying the process of the craft, my other aim was to put all those leftover bits to some use. We have lived in this house for so long that we have become decades deep in accumulated 'stuf'f' and  the time has come to excavate all those shelves, boxes and cupboard corners, bring out all those things that haven't seen the light of day for years; things we have long forgotten we ever put away for safe-keeping, in fact stuff we never knew we had. Recycling, re-purposing, reviving, restoring and yes, even removing have become a whole new set of by-words, a sort of by-vocabulary. With that in mind, I hardly thought my new project should involve the re-purposing of any of the stock of the local craft store or yarn shops.( I admit to raiding the yarn stash of my daughter-in-law for a few, a very few, oddments.) 
And now having 16 squares done, I need to decide what the work should become. I certainly  would have no trouble in finding the materials to make a cushion without leaving the house. Do we really need another cushion? If it was like the ones that Son and D-i-l bought from the big blue store, that unzip to release a quilt to wrap up in on the sofa, then yes.
I feel a challenge coming on!


No comments:

Post a Comment