Saturday 20 November 2010

Little Boxes - Part 2

I knew I wasn't finished with making those little crochet boxes I saw on Kirstie's Homemade Home. Far from it. I was planning to build on the basic design, adding handles and some kind of embellishment. And so I did. But as they are so good to make being such a portable project, quick, easy and use up left over bits and pieces, their numbers are steadily increasing and they seem to be appearing all over the house.

 The red one - now with handles - is the ideal size for holding a ball of yarn, a crochet hook, scissors and a needle case thereby contributing to the proliferation of its own kind. The blue one with its built in slit handles shows that the basic box is evolving.

Even when I was working in the garden clearing up leaves, an idea for another change to the basic design came to me. As someone who finds fascination in so many of Mother Nature's designs, you might imagine my inspiration may have come from the exquisite structure of an acorn cup or a larch cone. It was something much less decorative and entirely functional.

The green bag provided by the council for the collection of garden waste! Suddenly I noticed that is is basicly constructed in the same way having four rectangular sides stitched onto a square base. It even has the seams on the outside to help it to stand up.  Maybe I could use braid to add handles in the same way.

So this fascination with little crochet boxes looks like being far from over - at least for the time being. Oh Kirstie Allsopp, what have you started?

No comments:

Post a Comment