Friday 18 February 2011

A Rethink

It is amazing - not to say disconcerting - how much can change in a matter of weeks. You go away somewhere else for what seems like a short while and come back to find all manner of things have been going on in your absence. Even with the mixed blessing of the internet and news channels you can still find yourself left out of a number of loops. How could I have missed all the plans to sell off Forestry Commiission land and the ensuing public protests? Because I live in a community and a nation and have decisions about so many aspects of my life made on my behalf, I can't pretend not to be a 'political animal', but in the main I choose not to express political views in this particular forum. I have said that I write here about the things I find wonderful and so it shall stay that way. I do find the local Forestry Commission land is simply wonderful and I am relieved that others have been successful in keeping  public access to that inspiring and uplifting place.
I had lived in this area a few months when I stumbled upon the Hundred Acre car park for the Forest of Bere. I had rashly promised two well-behaved pre-schoolers a special treat on the way home after a shopping trip. I had no idea what that treat might be and turned off the usual way home looking for inspiration; a river bank to feed ducks, a playground, some interesting animals to watch, and just happened to notice the sign for the Forestry Commission  car park. What a time we had exploring the woods, running down the paths to see what might be around the corner, holding our breath to listen to the birds!
It proved to be the first of many visits. Spring excursions with playgroup and school enabled my children to learn the names of wildflowers - something that a sea-faring father and a mother born and raised in the antipodes couldn't tell them. Many miles of sponsored walks also became an annual event for several years.  We went there for all kinds of reasons and almost for no reason at all other than a wish for a breath of fresh air. Spur of the moment after school teas, birthdays, taking visitors to see 'our forest', geocaching, trying out a new camera, seeing what flowers are out or if we can find that pond again,  were all reasons we gave each other, at heart I suspect we were really seeking the lift to the spirits given by walking among the trees at any time of the year.
 How grateful I am then, to those who took up the cause and challenged the government's plans. Their political activity and vigilance have protected something I regard as very precious. So call it a u-turn, a rethink or change of heart I look forward to being able to continue to take friends and family to see the bluebells in April and myself any time I need to boost my mood or sort my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment