Sunday 24 April 2011

Down in the Woods Today

 With such fine, warm weather and the temperatures we would expect in July, so many people are heading for the coast to spend their Easter break on the beach. Somehow this year seems to be in such a rush to reach its peak like a ten year old anxious to wear high heels and a bra. For me, the beach is for later and I'm sticking to my traditional spring walks in the woods - it's still April for goodness' sake.

Sunlight is still reaching through to the undergrowth on the ground but not for much longer. New leaf growth is unfurling from eye level,

to far overhead.
But being April there is so much to see on the ground.
Ramsons



Anemones
But of course, the real stars of the show are the nation's favorite wild flower, the bluebells; their colour hovers like a mist in the distance. I never fail to feel uplifted by the sight and scent of these flowers - inspired to do so many things I have never attempted let alone achieved. Clearly I am not alone in this, so many watercolours and poems are testimony to that. 
  The Bluebell,  by Anne Bronte if you like nostalgia
My happy childhood's hours
When bluebells seemed like fairy gifts
A prize among the flowers,

 But 'Stage Directions for Bluebells' by Diana Hendry is a favourite. It is from an anthology The Works chosen by Paul Cookson. 
Witty, affectionate - I couldn't resist matching my pictures to some of her lines.
"OK. Everyone else off-stage - we'lljust have bluebells for this one."








"And you two - could you appear to be in conversation, or at least on nodding acquaintance?"
"Lovely! Lovely! You all look very picturesque."
  Wonderful, simply wonderful! The poem, the weather and above all the walk in the woods.

2 comments:

  1. Oh would you look at that. It's so beautiful. Thanks for sharing - almost as good as being there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the first time I saw this I just thought it was magical and every time since then has been just as breathtaking. If only I could add the scent to the photos.

    ReplyDelete