Sunday 30 December 2012

Little Intentions for the new year.

The end of one year and beginning of another. What better time to reflect on what things in life are over and best consigned to the past, what things are at their best right now and what is yet to come.
I know it is the custom to draw up a list of New Year's resolutions but I know too that it takes more than hanging up a new calendar to inspire me to make changes in my life. I just don't think it is the right time of year. For a start too many of these resolutions are a rueful attempt to correct the excesses and indulgence of the last month or so, perhaps it would be better to draw up a list and file it to be considered next October or November. And here in the UK with the short days and cold, gloomy weather it is no time for any kind of self-reproach or resolving to do anything which entails going outdoors. Far better to leave all that for a few weeks, perhaps until the first crocus appears when Mother Nature is burgeoning with  renewal and the atmosphere breathes optimism and self-belief.

Perhaps you are one of those who choose a word to be a focus for the year or to epitomise a theme to inspire them. I find this is far more appealing. I may well do that for 2013. But I also like to take time to think about all the times I have started sentences with "One of these days....." and think about the actions and activities that have followed on. I don't mean the ones that have "I should", "I had better" or "I really ought to" - I only have to open almost any cupboard in the house to be reminded of at least one of those. And I'm not saying that life wouldn't be better if I didn't get stuck in and achieve them all. It's just that I feel that now is a good time to plan something interesting, enjoyable, fun even, so I want to think of all the times I have said "One of these days I'd really like to..."  and choose some of those for the year ahead. For me, in 2013, I am not looking for grand bucket list items that involve being somewhere or with someone or on a day in particular, I already have a notebook with some of those in. I just want some things I can largely do here at home, by myself, when I can.

So here it is, my list of 'little intentions' for 2013.
  • Make sour dough bread
  • Knit a pair of socks with properly turned heels and grafted toes
  • Handcraft a book
  • Complete a 30 day photo challenge
 Yes, I will no doubt be baking, knitting, crafting and taking photos anyway but each of these intentions represents something I haven't tried before. And for none of them will there come the day when I leap from my bed (oh, for the chance!) and achieve it before sundown. There will be preparation, a revisiting of existing skills and knowledge, reseach, learning and practice so each of them presents a journey. Maybe none of them will be my greatest achievement for the year but it is time they were no longer consigned to that indefinite time frame "one of these days."

Working on the principle if you want to learn about something, read a book, I gathered up the books I could find in the house that might prove most useful. I can see trips to the library are in order and recourse to the internet.
"When the pupil is ready, the teacher appears." 

So right, I am ready to be pointed in the right direction(s). If you know of any brillant books or websites that would help, I would love you to list them in Comments.

What would be your Little Intentions for the year ahead?

No comments:

Post a Comment