Thursday 23 September 2010

Heart's Ease


Do I like pansies? No. Not the large strident yellow ones with a shapeless black splodge in the middle and not the floppy big white ones with a large purple bruise and petals too broad and flimsy to withstand being folded in half in the slightest breeze. No I don't like those at all. But the smallest violas, now that is a different matter entirely. Pretty colours, intricate markings; faces of miniature serenity and the most delicate scent.
Several weeks ago,  I was having tea in the garden behind a teashop. On each table was a shallow terracotta pot with just white violas all flowering fit to burst. Such a simple and delightful combination and on that warm day the scent was noticeable without being overpowering. No surprise then that I couldn't resist a tray of  tiny violas on the next visit to a plant centre.
Now just what containers did I have that would suit them? I first planted up a glazed bowl to place on a garden table as a living arrangement. Then I discovered, hidden away amongst all the plant pots that can't be stacked, a collection of chipped cups. Too damaged to be sipped from, too nice to throw away or smash up to use for drainage. I  drilled holes in the bottom using a tile bit and marking the inside of the base with masking tape to stop the drill bit from slipping. By pressing them into a tray of damp sand to support them it was easy enough to make a drainage hole without any further cracking. I knew there would come a time when these  would be just what I was looking for.

That leaves me with two questions. 
What other plants would suit tea cup planting?  Perhaps little primroses or cyclamen coum.
And do I like pansies? Well clearly that depends.

No comments:

Post a Comment